König + Neurath AG operates its own vehicle fleet of HGVs and cars. The HGV fleet delivers produced goods to their intended place of use. With a distance of approx. 3.5 million kilometres travelled (as at 2019), the resulting consumption of vehicle fuel accounts for a significant percentage of the company’s carbon emissions (Scope 1). The car fleet is primarily for use by the external sales team. Taking into account all energy sources used at the Karben site, the vehicle fuels accounted for 41% of the company’s carbon emissions, in 2021 the figure was 38% (percentage of Scope 1 + Scope 2 emissions).
The significant drop in carbon emissions from 2019 (3,242 t) to 2020 (2,493 t, –23 %), which was caused by the vehicles, is the result of the lower production volume in 2020 because of reduced orders. The number of transports reduced as a consequence, and the kilometres travelled by external sales representatives were fewer as well.
The carbon emissions from the vehicle fleet for 2021 stayed at the same level as the previous year (2,418 t, –3 %). Because of the ongoing drop in production output the transport figures were also similar to the previous year in 2021.
We are implementing the following measures in order to improve transport efficiency and save fuel:
- The warehouse management team plans delivery routes to incorporate pick-ups from our main suppliers. This allows us to reduce empty journeys as well as saving our suppliers from travelling to the König + Neurath site.
- To save resources, we have concluded a shipping agreement with a logistics company. Almost all of our suppliers are committed to notifying and instructing our partner when they have freight to transport. This allows the logistics company to combine shipments into one route, which saves multiple journeys and saves resources.
- All goods transport in the production buildings at König + Neurath is electric and therefore the site is emission-free in that respect.
- König + Neurath uses route planning software. It supports our warehouse management team in planning the most efficient routes.
- We aim to use HGV load capacity efficiently to conserve resources and be environmentally friendly. The warehouse team uses software for this as well.
- Our HGV fleet is 100% compliant with the EURO-6 norm. This allows us to reduce pollution and cut back on fuel consumption.
- Furthermore we train our drivers to use a fuel-saving driving technique and make them aware of where there are potential savings.
- All diesel vehicles (HGV and cars) are equipped with AdBlue technology to reduce nitrous oxide emissions.
Carbon emissions caused by the König + Neurath vehicle fleet
|Carbon emissions caused by combustion of vehicle fuels [t]]||3.242||2.493||2.418|
|Percentage of carbon emissions from the vehicle fleet of all energy sources used [%]||42||41||38|